Location: Ngoma, Kirehe, and Kyonza Districts, East Province, Rwanda
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Kigali wishes to inform American citizens that the Rwandan Ministry of Agriculture has recently confirmed an outbreak of Rift Valley Fever (RVF) in cattle in three districts of East Province: Ngoma, Kirehe, and Kyonza. RVF is a viral disease that primarily affects animals but can also infect humans. While most human cases are relatively mild, a small percentage of patients develop a much more severe form of the disease, including lesions in the eye, meningoencephalitis or haemorrhagic fever.
Actions to Take:
* Visit the CDC Travelers Health Page, which has information on Rift Valley fever.
* Monitor local media for updates.
* Review the country page for general health information.
* Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program STEP to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
* Contact the U.S. Embassy in Rwanda , located at 2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie, Kacyiru, Kigali, at +250 252-596-400, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Fridays, except U.S. federal holidays and Rwandan holidays. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +250 252-596-400.
* Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).