Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda (April 20, 2020)
Event: 147 Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 in Rwanda
On April 17, the government of Rwanda announced an extension of existing measures designed to slow the spread of COVID-19 until April 30. Unnecessary movements outside the house are not permitted. All employees should work from home, except for those providing essential services. Travel between different cities and districts is not permitted. Shops and markets are closed, except for those selling food, medicine, hygiene and cleaning products, fuel, and other essential goods. All bars are closed. All restaurants and cafes may only provide take away service. Schools, universities, and places of worship are closed. Borders are closed, except for cargo, goods, and returning Rwandans and Rwandan permanent residents. Rwandan citizens and residents returning to the country are subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine at designated locations. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
If you experience the symptoms of COVID-19, or have been in close contact with someone who is a confirmed case or is being evaluated for COVID-19, call 114, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or WhatsApp +250-788-20-20-80, or contact your nearest health care facility.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 in Europe advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel to Europe.
Note: This information will continue to be sent regularly for the benefit of new registrants in STEP. We will be sure to highlight any new information from previous emails.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the U.S. Embassy COVID-19 website for information on conditions in Rwanda.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Call 114 or contact your nearest health facility if you have had close contact with a confirmed case or someone being evaluated for COVID-19.
- U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda
2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie (Kacyiru)
(250) 252 596 400
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Rwanda Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Rwanda.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.