Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda (May 19, 2020)
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Event: Possible Flight Departing Kigali with Connections to the U.S. on May 23
The U.S. Embassy has learned of a possible flight departing Kigali with connections to Dulles International Airport in Washington, D.C. on Saturday, May 23 at 15:25 with Ethiopian Airlines. Passengers may be able to book onward flights from Washington, D.C. If you are interested in booking travel on this flight, please contact SatGuru at +250-788-528-347 or email@example.com.
Under limited circumstances, the Department of State may offer loans to destitute American citizens to facilitate repatriation. If you feel you might qualify for such a loan, please email ConsularKigali@state.gov. Please note that this loan will require repayment.
On May 18, the government of Rwanda updated the COVID-19 prevention measures.
- Movements are prohibited from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM, except with permission.
- Masks must be worn in public at all times.
- All resumed services must follow health guidelines from the Ministry of Health.
- Public and private businesses may resume work with essential staff only. Other employees should continue to work from home.
- Hotels and restaurants will operate but close by 7:00 PM.
- Individual sporting activities in open spaces are permitted, but sports facilities, gyms, and recreational centers remain closed.
- Funeral gatherings should not exceed 30 persons.
- All bars, schools, universities, and places of worship remain closed.
- Transport between different provinces and the city of Kigali is not permitted.
- Meetings in public spaces and mass gatherings are prohibited.
- Borders remain closed. Rwandan citizens and residents returning to the country are subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine at designated locations at their own expense.
Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 in Europe advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel to Europe.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Rwanda.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Call 114 or contact your nearest health facility if you have had close contact with a confirmed case or someone being evaluated for COVID-19.
- U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda
2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie (Kacyiru)
(250) 252 596 400
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Rwanda Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Rwanda.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.