Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda (May 27, 2020)
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Event: Possible Flight Departing Kigali with Connections to the U.S. on May 30
The U.S. Embassy has learned of a possible flight departing Kigali with connections to Dulles International Airport in Washington, D.C. on Saturday, May 30. Passengers may be able to book onward flights from Washington, D.C. If you are interested in booking travel on this flight, please contact SatGuru at +250-788-528-347 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under limited circumstances, the Department of State may offer loans to destitute American citizens to facilitate repatriation. If you feel you might qualify for such a loan, please email ConsularKigali@state.gov. Please note that this loan will require repayment.
On May 18, the government of Rwanda updated the COVID-19 prevention measures.
- Movements are prohibited from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM, except with permission.
- Masks must be worn in public at all times.
- All resumed services must follow health guidelines from the Ministry of Health.
- Public and private businesses may resume work with essential staff only. Other employees should continue to work from home.
- Hotels and restaurants will operate but close by 7:00 PM.
- Individual sporting activities in open spaces are permitted, but sports facilities, gyms, and recreational centers remain closed.
- Funeral gatherings should not exceed 30 persons.
- All bars, schools, universities, and places of worship remain closed.
- Transport between different provinces and the city of Kigali is not permitted.
- Meetings in public spaces and mass gatherings are prohibited.
- Borders remain closed. Rwandan citizens and residents returning to the country are subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine at designated locations at their own expense.
Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 in Europe advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel to Europe.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Rwanda.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Call 114 or contact your nearest health facility if you have had close contact with a confirmed case or someone being evaluated for COVID-19.
- U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda
2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie (Kacyiru)
(250) 252 596 400
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Rwanda Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Rwanda.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.