Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda (August 20, 2020)
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Event: Rwanda Biomedical Centre to Begin Street Testing Survey in Kigali
On August 20, the Rwanda Biomedical Centre will begin a COVID-19 street testing survey in all districts of Kigali. In this survey, people will be randomly selected for testing and escorted to a drive-through testing facility.
On August 19, the Rwandan Ministry of Health announced a total of 2,644 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Rwanda. The health situation in Rwanda remains fluid and the U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens prepare for possible future restrictions.
Please consult the U.S. Embassy’s webpage on COVID-19 for additional information on conditions in Rwanda.
The Department of State has issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for Rwanda.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Warning for Rwanda.
Actions to Take:
· Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
· For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s
· Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
· Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or
· Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
· Call 114 or contact your nearest health facility if you have had close contact with a confirmed case or someone being
evaluated for COVID-19.
- U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda
2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie (Kacyiru)
(250) 252 596 400
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Rwanda Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Rwanda.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.