Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda (August 27, 2020)
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Event: Government of Rwanda Updated COVID-19 Prevention Measures
On August 26, the Rwandan Ministry of Health announced a total of 3,625 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Rwanda.
On August 26, the Government of Rwanda announced updated COVID-19 prevention measures.
- Movements are prohibited from 7:00 PM to 5:00 AM.
- Limits on mass gatherings continue.
- Bars inside of hotels and restaurants remain closed. Hotels and restaurants are permitted to operate.
- Land borders remain closed, except for cargo and returning Rwandan citizens and legal residents.
- The Kigali International Airport remains open with a limited flight schedule.
- Public transport between Kigali and other districts is prohibited. Private transport between Kigali and other districts (except for Rusizi District) will continue.
The health situation in Rwanda is evolving and the U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens prepare for possible future restrictions.
Please consult the U.S. Embassy’s webpage on COVID-19 for additional information on conditions in Rwanda.
The Department of State has issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for Rwanda.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Warning for Rwanda.
Actions to Take:
· Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
· For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see
the CDC’s latest recommendations.
· Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
· Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans
· Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
· Call 114 or contact your nearest health facility if you have had close contact with a confirmed case or someone
being evaluated for COVID-19.
- U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda
2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie (Kacyiru)
(250) 252 596 400
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Rwanda Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Rwanda.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.