Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda (April 2, 2020)
Event: 82 Confirmed COVID-19 Cases in Rwanda
On April 1, the Rwandan Ministry of Health confirmed 82 cases of COVID-19 in Rwanda.
On April 1, the government of Rwanda announced an extension of existing measures designed to slow the spread of COVID-19 until 23:59 on Sunday, April 19. Non-essential movements and travel between cities are prohibited, and non-essential businesses are closed. Rwandan citizens and residents returning to the country are subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine at designated locations. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
If you experience the symptoms of COVID-19, or have been in close contact with someone who is a confirmed case or is being evaluated for COVID-19, call 114, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or WhatsApp +250-788-20-20-80, or contact your nearest health care facility.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 in Europe advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel to Europe.
Note: This information will continue to be sent regularly for the benefit of new registrants in STEP. We will be sure to highlight any new information from previous emails.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Rwanda.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Call 114 or contact your nearest health facility if you have had close contact with a confirmed case or someone being evaluated for COVID-19.
- U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda
2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie (Kacyiru)
(250) 252 596 400
- Rwanda Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Rwanda.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.