Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda (March 28, 2020)
Event: 54 Confirmed COVID-19 Cases in Rwanda
On March 27, the Rwandan Ministry of Health confirmed 54 cases of COVID-19 in Rwanda.
On March 21, the government of Rwanda implemented measures for an initial period of two weeks to limit the spread of COVID-19. Non-essential movements and travel between cities are prohibited, and non-essential businesses are closed. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Information on preparing for emergencies can be found on the Department of State’s website.
Effective March 16, the U.S. Embassy Kigali has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, and passport renewals, please email ConsularKigali@state.gov for an appointment.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning for COVID-19 in Europe advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel to Europe.
Note: This information will continue to be sent regularly for the benefit of new registrants in STEP. We will be sure to highlight any new information from previous emails.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Rwanda.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Call 114 or contact your nearest health facility if you have had close contact with a confirmed case or someone being evaluated for COVID-19.
- U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda
2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie (Kacyiru)
(250) 252 596 400
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Rwanda Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Rwanda.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.