May 23, 2022
The U.S. Embassy in Kigali has received reports of possible attacks in as many as three different locations in the Kinigi area, including reports of explosions and gunfire near Volcanoes National Park and Rwanda’s border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo. U.S. citizen visiting Volcanoes National Park may notice an increased Rwandan military and police presence in the area. Additional information will be shared by the Embassy as it becomes available.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media outlets for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Exercise increased caution in the Kinigi area.
- Contact the Embassy at ACSKigali@state.gov if you have further information or need assistance.