Security Alert: U.S. Embassy Discourages Travel to Kinigi and Nyange Sectors
Location: Kinigi and Nyange Sectors, Northern Province, Rwanda
The U.S. Embassy in Kigali discourages travel to Kinigi and Nyange Sectors in the Northern Province of Rwanda due to recent attacks in the area. On June 10, the Rwanda Defence Force issued a statement that two rockets struck Kinigi Sector earlier in that day, noting that this followed similar shelling on May 23 which caused injuries and damaged property. The U.S. Embassy has restricted official travel to the two sectors and discouraged personal travel by official Embassy personnel through July 5, 2022. Should this date be extended, the Embassy will notify the American community in Rwanda through subsequent messages.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media outlets for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Reconsider travel to Kinigi and Nyange Sectors.
- Contact the Embassy at ACSKigali@state.gov if you require further assistance.
- U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda
- State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs
- Rwanda Country Specific Information
No longer wish to receive alerts from U.S. Embassy Kigali? Please follow the instructions here to unsubscribe.