Event: The Rwanda National Police informed the public on October 5 that a group of militants entered Rwanda the previous day and engaged in hostilities in northwestern Rwanda near Volcanoes National Park, killing approximately nineteen civilians and injuring five. The area near Volcanoes National Park is now secure, according to police reports.
Armed groups operate in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) close to the Rwandan border. There is a risk of further cross-border incursions and armed clashes.
Actions to Take:
- Use caution when walking or driving at night. Please note, for safety reasons, U.S. Embassy personnel are prohibited from driving outside of cities after dark, as well as from using motorcycle-taxis or mini-bus taxis.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Kigali, Rwanda
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Rwanda Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates