Security Alert #2 – Volcanic Eruption of Mount Nyiragongo in Eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Location: Western Rwanda, specifically Rubavu District in the Western Province
Event: Lava flows from the volcanic eruption of Mount Nyiragongo located north of Goma, DRC have expanded and shifted to a south/southeast direction moving toward the Goma airport and cities of Goma in the DRC and Gisenyi in Rwanda.
At this time, the Government of Rwanda has not implemented an evacuation order of Gisenyi. Should one occur, the U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens follow instructions of authorities and monitor local media.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to report their whereabouts and any requests for assistance to the U.S. Embassy at ACSKigali@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Be prepared to depart should the Government of Rwanda implement an evacuation order.
- Monitor local media and official government channels.
- Follow instructions of local authorities.
- Do not go toward the volcano.
· State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444