Embassy Kigali is repeating the below security message issued by Embassy Kinshasa on September 14, 2015, regarding possible protest activity in Goma and Bukavu.
The U.S. Embassy has received reports that anti-government demonstrations are being planned for the morning of September 15, 2015. The demonstration may take place in the vicinity of Sainte Therese, a church located in N’Djili between Quartiers 4, 6, and 8, along Rue Kimpese 1. We have received word that the government has officially authorized this demonstration. Other demonstrations may develop in other locations in Kinshasa as well.
Demonstrations may also take place in Goma and Bukavu. Exact locations and times are not verified, but the one in Goma may be held outside the Governor’s office at approximately 3:00 p.m. The Bukavu protest may involve marches to the Kunu stadium, in the Kadutu collectivite, beginning in the morning. As of now, we do not know if these two protests have been approved by the government.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence without warning. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. The U.S. Embassy advises all U.S. citizens to maintain a high degree of awareness and exercise caution as we move closer to the scheduled elections this year.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for the DRC.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa, located at 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, at +243-081-225-5872 (Do not dial the zero when calling from abroad); the Consular Section at tel. +243-081-884-6859 or +243-081-884-4609 from Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 081-556-0151.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.