Eligibility for a CRBA

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born outside of the United States, you may want to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad is a formal document certifying the acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth by a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s).  In other words, it is proof of U.S. citizenship.  Please note that a CRBA application can only be processed in the American Citizen Services Unit in the country where the child was born while the child is under age 18.

Applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad are accepted by appointment only.  Please use the Embassy Appointment System to schedule an appointment.  The fee for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad is $100 USD, payable in U.S. dollars (issued during or after 2009 only, due to Rwandan banking regulations), Rwandan Francs, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Diners, and debit cards bearing the Visa or MasterCard logo.  Your card will be charged in U.S. dollars.

Once the CRBA is approved, it should arrive within two to four weeks at the Embassy in Kigali.  While you will be able to apply for a passport at the same time as the CRBA, passports also take approximately two weeks to arrive.  Please take this into consideration when planning for travel.

Please note the child must be present at the time of application in the Consular Section.  To expedite processing of your case, we recommend that you arrive with a completed, but unsigned, Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS-2029), and all requested supporting documentation.

A Consular officer determines the eligibility of U.S. citizen parents to “transmit” citizenship to the child in accordance with the United States Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  Please answer the questions below to see information on applying for a CRBA in a family situation similar to your own.  The information presented here is a general guideline; a Consular Officer may request additional information or documentation when you apply, depending on the specific circumstances of your case.