Citizenship Services

What Service Do You Require?

Documentation of United States Citizens Born Abroad Who Acquire Citizenship at Birth

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest American consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth.  The official record is in the form of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America.  This document, referred to as the Consular Report of Birth (FS-240) is considered a basic United States citizenship document.  An original Consular Report of Birth Abroad is furnished to the parent(s) at the time the registration is approved.

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of American citizens to acquire American citizenship.  These children did not acquire American citizenship at birth, but they qualify for citizenship when they enter the United States as lawful permanent residents (LPRs).

Claiming U.S. Citizenship

If you are over 18 years of age, and if you were born abroad to a U.S. Citizen parent who did not declare your birth at a U.S. embassy or consulate, you may have a claim to U.S. citizenship.

This service is available by appointment only at the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Kigali.

Prior to your appointment, you will need to collect the following original documents, as well as a photocopy of each original document.

Checklist of required original documents and one photocopy to bring to your appointment:

  1. Your identification or passport;
  2. Your birth certificate;
  3. Your parents’ marriage certificate;
  4. If you were born out of wedlock, your father’s affidavit of parentage (not applicable if your father is deceased);
  5. Your U.S. parent’s U.S. passport or notarized true copy of U.S. passport;
  6. Your U.S. parent’s precise list of physical presence in the U.S. prior to your birth aboard;
  7. Evidence of your U.S. parent’s physical presence in the U.S. such as:  high school and university transcripts, military honorable discharge showing dates of service, Social Security Earning Statement, IRS W-2 forms, employers letters or certificates, salary slips, bank records (checking account statements), credit card statements, previous passports with stamps, etc.;
  8. Complete online and print Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport, please do not sign this document;
  9. Use our online system to schedule an appointment.


Appointments for Renunciation of Citizenship in Kigali

Please see the State Department web page on Renunciation of Citizenship.

As renunciation can be a complicated process, please send an email to to schedule an appointment and receive renunciation documents.