Social Security

If you would like information on how to apply for a social security card, social security retirement benefits, or for instructions on how to replace, correct, or change your name on your Social Security Card, see the Social Security Administration (SSA) website or this brochure (PDF 502KB). This site also has a downloadable application form, the (SS-5) – PDF 122KB and tells you what kind of identification you need to submit along with your application form.

We will forward your application to the Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Paris.  Social security cards generally take about a month to process.  You will receive an email from the Embassy in Kigali when your card arrives.

For children whose parents are submitting the SS-5 in conjunction with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and first passport, the only documentation required at submission will be the identification of the applying parent.  Please be aware that the consular section must wait for the child’s CRBA and passport to arrive before submitting the application.  As a result, there may be a delay in receiving a social security card for newborns.