Please follow the instructions here to apply for a non-immigrant visa. If you cannot find the answer to your question online, you may e-mail the Non-Immigrant Visa (NIV) unit at NIVKigali@state.gov. Please note that the Consular Section does not discuss visa questions over the phone and all questions must be submitted via e-mail. Requests for expedited appointments must be made through your online account here.
The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Kigali is responsible for providing visa services to those seeking to enter the United States for a temporary period and for those wishing to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States.
Please visit our Global Support Services (GSS) website for complete information on applying for a nonimmigrant U.S. visa, including a directory of nonimmigrant visa categories.
Diplomats and other government officials applying for a nonimmigrant U.S. visa should follow the instructions below.
Visiting the Embassy
The United States Embassy in Rwanda is located at
30 KG 7 Avenue (Kacyiru)
P.O. Box 28 Kigali, RWANDA
If you are having trouble making an appointment or paying your application fee, please write to the appropriate address below:
- Payment issues (English): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Payment issues (French): email@example.com
- Appointment or website issues (English): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Appointment or website issues (French): email@example.com
Or contact our help center at:
+250 252 570 373.
+1 703 988 7049
Diplomats and Other Government Officials (A,G, NATO)
- Submit the Form DS-160 and required documentation (see below) in person or by courier to the Consular Section at 2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie, Kigali, Rwanda, Friday from 10:00 AM to noon.
- Most qualified applicants are not required to appear for an interview with a consular officer and are exempt from fees and fingerprint collection.
- We will contact you when your visa is ready for pickup. Processing time is normally 3-5 business days after submission of the application. However, these times may vary and there is no guarantee that your visa will be ready within this time frame. We urge travelers to apply as early as possible and to not make firm travel plans (e.g. purchase plane tickets, make non-refundable hotel reservations) before receiving the visa.
- Valid Passport
- Diplomatic Note or “Note Verbale” from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Diplomatic Mission; official request from the appropriate international organization or sending government. All Diplomatic Notes should include the applicant’s name and date of birth; position and title; place of assignment or visit; purpose of travel; brief description of duties; travel date; anticipated length of stay or tour of duty in the United States; and the names, relationships, and dates of birth of any dependents and other members of household who will be accompanying or joining the principal.
- One ID photograph 5cm x 5cm taken in the past 6 months.
- DS-160 confirmation page
- A3, G5, and NATO-8 applicants must provide an employment contract.
- Additional documentary requirements may apply in some cases.
- Qualified diplomatic and official visa applicants on official travel (A, G, C-3, NATO) are exempt from paying visa fees. Some diplomatic passport holders on personal travel applying for a B visa are exempt from fees (e.g. Heads of State, Ambassadors, Cabinet Ministers, Government officers holding diplomatic titles). Other diplomatic passport holders may be required to pay the visa fee and/or appear for an interview with a consular officer.
- For other questions or information about diplomatic and official visas only, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
All nonimmigrant visa application fee (also known as the MRV fee) payments made on or after October 1, 2022, are valid for 365 days from the date a receipt is issued for payment of the MRV fee. Applicants must schedule an interview appointment or submit an interview waiver application during this 365-day period. Please note applicants must only schedule their interview or submit their waiver application within the 365-day period. There is no requirement the interview must occur during the 365-day period. All receipts for payment of MRV fees issued before October 1, 2022, were extended until September 30, 2023, and remain valid until this date.