As of July 1, 2021, the Consular Section has temporarily suspended all visa operations. All previously scheduled visa appointments during the month of July 2021 have been canceled.
We do not know if August 2021 appointments will be affected, as our appointment availability is dependent on Government of Rwanda COVID-19 prevention measures. Until you are notified otherwise, please assume that your appointment in August 2021 is still scheduled.
We encourage you to monitor your account on https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-rw/niv for future appointment availability.
If your passport is currently with the Consular Section for visa processing, please wait until the Friday morning after the Consular Section announces the resumption of services to collect your passport at the designated time.
Please note that the Consular Section is making every effort to process as many Diversity Visas as possible and is aware of the September 30, 2021 deadline. Unfortunately, the number of visas issued prior to the deadline will likely not approach the statutory ceiling in Fiscal Year 2021.
The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Kigali is responsible for providing visa services to those seeking to enter the United States for a temporary period and for those wishing to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States.
Diplomats and other government officials applying for a nonimmigrant U.S. visa should follow the instructions below.
Visiting the Embassy
The United States Embassy in Rwanda is located at
2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie (Kacyiru)
P.O. Box 28 Kigali, RWANDA
If you are having trouble making an appointment or paying your application fee, please write to the appropriate address below:
- Payment issues (English): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Payment issues (French): email@example.com
- Appointment or website issues (English): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Appointment or website issues (French): email@example.com
Or contact our help center at:
+250 252 570 373.
+1 703 988 7049
Diplomats and Other Government Officials (A,G, NATO)
- Submit the Form DS-160 and required documentation (see below) in person or by courier to the Consular Section at 2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie, Kigali, Rwanda, Friday from 10:00 AM to noon.
- Most qualified applicants are not required to appear for an interview with a consular officer and are exempt from fees and fingerprint collection.
- We will contact you when your visa is ready for pickup. Processing time is normally 3-5 business days after submission of the application. However, these times may vary and there is no guarantee that your visa will be ready within this time frame. We urge travelers to apply as early as possible and to not make firm travel plans (e.g. purchase plane tickets, make non-refundable hotel reservations) before receiving the visa.
- Valid Passport
- Diplomatic Note or “Note Verbale” from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Diplomatic Mission; official request from the appropriate international organization or sending government. All Diplomatic Notes should include the applicant’s name and date of birth; position and title; place of assignment or visit; purpose of travel; brief description of duties; travel date; anticipated length of stay or tour of duty in the United States; and the names, relationships, and dates of birth of any dependents and other members of household who will be accompanying or joining the principal.
- One ID photograph 5cm x 5cm taken in the past 6 months.
- DS-160 confirmation page
- A3, G5, and NATO-8 applicants must provide an employment contract.
- Additional documentary requirements may apply in some cases.
- Qualified diplomatic and official visa applicants on official travel (A, G, C-3, NATO) are exempt from paying visa fees. Some diplomatic passport holders on personal travel applying for a B visa are exempt from fees (e.g. Heads of State, Ambassadors, Cabinet Ministers, Government officers holding diplomatic titles). Other diplomatic passport holders may be required to pay the visa fee and/or appear for an interview with a consular officer.
- For other questions or information about diplomatic and official visas only, please contact us at: ConsularKigali@state.gov