The U.S. Embassy in Kigali wishes to remind travelers to Rwanda that proof of yellow fever vaccination is required for entry. Due to a recent yellow fever outbreak in Angola, Rwandan immigration officials now require un-vaccinated air travelers over the age of one year to obtain a vaccine upon entry at the airport (cost $40 U.S. dollars). The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends all travelers age 9 months or older be vaccinated against yellow fever. The U.S. Embassy encourages any American citizen in Rwanda or planning to travel to Rwanda that has not been vaccinated to seek vaccination.
We remind all citizens to be vigilant in implementing anti-mosquito measures. Such measures can include: avoiding areas where there is standing water in which mosquitos can breed, avoiding being outdoors in the early morning or early evening twilight period, using mosquito repellants, and using mosquito netting.
American citizens should also be vigilant in recognizing the signs and symptoms of yellow fever, which can appear similar to those for malaria. These symptoms include sudden onset of fever, fatigue, weakness, chills, severe headache, arthralgia (joint pain) and general body pain, nausea, and vomiting. If you notice such symptoms, immediately seek diagnosis and treatment from a health-care provider.
For more information about Yellow Fever, please visit the CDC link FAQs about Yellow Fever.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Rwanda.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Rwanda, located at 2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie, Kacyiru, Kigali, at +250 252-596-400, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Fridays, except U.S. federal holidays and Rwandan holidays. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +250 252-596-400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.